DEVERON CANOE CLUB
CHILD AND VULNERABLE ADULTS PROTECTION POLICY
(REVIEWED APRIL 2015)
Deveron Canoe Club is fully committed to safeguarding the welfare of all children and vulnerable adults in its care. It recognises the responsibility to promote safe practice and to protect children and vulnerable adults from harm, abuse and exploitation. Staff and volunteers will work together to embrace difference and diversity and respect the rights of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
The accompanying document outlines the Deveron Canoe Club’s commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults.
The guidelines are based on the following principles:
- The welfare of children and vulnerable adults is the primary concern.
- All children and vulnerable adults, whatever their age, culture, disability, gender, language, racial origin, socio-economic status, religious belief and/or sexual identity have the right to protection from all forms of harm and abuse.
- Child and vulnerable adults’ protection is everyone’s responsibility.
- Children and vulnerable adults have the right to express views on all matters that affect them, should they wish to do so.
- The Club shall work in partnership together with children, vulnerable adults and parents/carers to promote the welfare, health and development of children and vulnerable adults.
Deveron Canoe Club will:
1. Promote the health and welfare of children and vulnerable adults by providing opportunities for them to take part in paddlesport safely.
2. Respect and promote the rights, wishes and feelings of children and vulnerable adults.
3. Promote and implement appropriate procedures to safeguard the well being of children and vulnerable adults and protect them from abuse.
4. Recruit, train, support and supervise its staff, members and volunteers to adopt best practise to safeguard and protect children and vulnerable adults from abuse and to reduce risk to themselves.
5. Require staff, members and volunteers to adopt and abide by this Child and vulnerable Adults Protection Policy and these procedures.
6. Respond to any allegations of misconduct or abuse of children and vulnerable adults in line with this policy and these procedures as well as implementing, where appropriate, the relevant disciplinary and appeals procedures.
7. Observe guidelines issued by local Child Protection Committees and the Scottish Canoe Association for the protection of children and vulnerable adults.
8. Regularly monitor and evaluate the implementation of this Policy and these procedures.
9. Appoint a Child and Vulnerable Adults Protection Officer to look after the wellbeing of both groups, to ensure that the Club’s policy is being actioned, and to be a member of the Club Management Committee.
This Policy and these procedures will be regularly reviewed:
- In accordance with changes in legislation and guidance on the protection of children and vulnerable adults, or following any changes within Deveron Canoe Club.
- Following any issues or concerns raised about the protection of children and vulnerable adults within Deveron Canoe Club.
- In all other circumstances, at least every three years.